Saturday, June 11, 2016

2016 Hart Mountain Greater Sage-Grouse Lek Monitoring / APRIL 8 - 10 2016

I returned to Hart Mountain National Antelope Refuge to monitor Greater Sage-Grouse for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for he third time since I first began volunteering in 2012. The work was conducted with fellow volunteers of the Oregon Natural Desert Association. I encountered an impressive number of wildlife species during this trip and worked with some great folks. My visits to Hart Mountain are always magic experiences and this trip did not disappoint. 



Phlox spp.



grouse scat

hiking into Water Canyon



Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rims at it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know not how oft. Where be your gibes now? your gambols? your songs? your flashes of merriment, that were wont to set the table on a roar? Not one now, to mock your own grinning? quite chap-fallen? Now get you to my lady's chamber, and tell her, let her paint an inch thick, to this favour she must come; make her laugh at that.

Shooting Star
(Dodecatheon spp.)
tales long told









Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus)



Brewer's Sparrow (Spizella breweri)



preparing flagging
Bighorn Sheep
(Ovis canadensis)




DeGarmo Canyon


an odorous discovery of a deceased Elk









Red-tailed Hawk pair
(Buteo jamaicensis)






Yellow Bell
(Fritillaria pudica)
Vesper Sparrow
(Pooecetes gramineus)

Jacobs Reservoir
American Avocet on island
(Recurvirostra americana)
Mountain Bluebird
(Sialia currucoides)


Smackie explains the rundown





life's rough
jam session

Ferruginous Hawk (Buteo regalisnest in Juniper
Greater Sage-Grouse (Centrocercus urophasianus) lek



a secret Vesper sparrow




Sage Thrasher
(
Oreoscoptes montanus)
Loggerhead Shrike
(
Lanius ludovicianus)



Pronghorn
(Antilocapra americana)

0 comments:

Post a Comment