Thursday, April 24, 2014

2014 Hart Mountain Greater Sage-Grouse Lek Monitoring / MARCH 27 - 30 2014

Exactly 2 years since I first participated in lek monitoring, I returned to Hart Mountain National Antelope Refuge to count Greater Sage-Grouse in the wintery weather of the early spring. The work was conducted with fellow volunteers with the Oregon Natural Desert Association under protocol set forth by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. This was a fantastic trip!



Swerving to miss a couple of mule deer on my way into the refuge landed me stuck in the ditch. To my great fortune a kind samaritan happened to come down the road soon after and I luckily had a tow rope with me.


Researchers with the University of Nevada, WDFW, and BLM band trapped Greater Sage-Grouse for relocation to Washington state in hopes of reestablishing the declining population.






a hen excretes a cecal dropping





males on the lek







a herald of Spring





Hart Mountain mule deer

hiking up DeGarmo  Canyon




































taking it easy



a well deserved soak in the hot spring








Gary contemplates a pronghorn jaw


a mountain bluebird in Rock Creek Canyon
There was no sign of my furry friend from two years previous on this visit.



Rock Creek



The final morning presented us with lots of birds!












ponghorn on the horizon





1 comments:

  1. Nice snaps! That sure was a lot of bat guano saluting the camera from the mouth of that rock!

    ReplyDelete